Jersey Railway and Tram Company
The railway opened to the public on 25th October 1870 with a line out to St Aubin. There were stations at First Tower, Millbrook and Beaumont. In May the following year, the company opened a hotel at St Aubin just behind the station. This was known as The Terminus Hotel.
Initially, it was well patronised; there was a bar directly accessible from the platform and a coffee shop above. No less than 9,000 passengers used the line on the second Saturday after the hotel opened. Unfortunately, this popularity was hard to maintain; the company changed hands regularly during the time the line ran from St Helier to St Aubin, and later to La Corbiere.
The idea to construct a line to service La Moye Quarries, near La Corbiere, was mooted as early as 1871. This finally came to fruition in August 1884, when the line from St Aubin’s Hospital ran out to the quarry. The track was extended to La Corbiere and opened to the public in July 1899.
Due to a decline in revenue in later years, and in an effort to defray running costs, the line was only used during the summer.
The final blow was struck in the early hours of Sunday October 18th, 1936 when a disastrous fire took hold in a butcher’s shop bordering the station. Within a very short time, the fire had spread and threatened to engulf the Terminus Hotel. At the final reckoning, five shops were destroyed, 16 of the company’s newest carriages had been reduced to ashes and so had the station roof.