Sales and Marketing Manager
An exciting career opportunity has arisen to manage the sales and marketing for one of Jersey's finest luxury hotels
Background and Overview
Situated between England and France, Jersey is the largest of the Channel Islands. An independent, English-speaking territory with a mix of British and French cultures, it is known for its beaches, walking trails along cliffs and inland valleys, as well as its defensive castles. In size, Jersey is approximately 9 miles by 5 miles. St Helier is the capital of the island and there are approximately 100,000 inhabitants, the vast majority living in or near the capital. Jersey is a self-determining protectorate of the British crown and is responsible for its own administrative and financial affairs.
With air links to over 45 airports and 12 flights a day leaving from Gatwick in high season, the island is easily accessible from anywhere in Europe. There is a 70 minute boat ride to St Malo, France or a ferry to Poole in Dorset which takes approximately four hours as well as an overnight ferry to Portsmouth. Tourism to the island is growing, and Visit Jersey has an ambitious strategy to increase tourism by 3% year-on-year for the foreseeable future.
Jersey offers a very high standard of living. It is considered to be a privileged environment to live in and work in. Taxation on the island is significantly less than in the UK and this has been taken into consideration when determining the salary package for this role. Living in Jersey, you can enjoy a real outdoor way of life. Many describe it as a corner of paradise with endless sandy beaches and water sports activities available throughout the year. Schooling and local hospital facilities are of a very high standard. Socially, there are numerous activities and clubs to get involved with.
The Atlantic Hotel is a stunning, award winning 50 bedroom hotel situated on the western side of the island. This world-class small luxury hotel is set in ten acres of grounds adjoining La Moye golf course and enjoys dramatic views over St Ouen's Bay, a conservation area of outstanding natural beauty.
The Atlantic Hotel is owned and run by Patrick Burke and his wife Treena. It was built in 1970 by Mr Henry Burke, Patrick’s late father. In May 1987, Patrick succeeded Henry as Managing Director and soon embarked on a development programme to upgrade every aspect of the property, a process which led to The Atlantic Hotel's admission into membership of Small Luxury Hotels of the World (SLH) in 1993, an association which continues to this day.
Over the years, The Atlantic Hotel has won many awards including four Red Stars and four Rosettes from the AA, the AA's Courtesy and Care Award for England and the Conde Nast Johansens award for Best Service in 2006 and 2014. This dedication to creating a world-class hotel that is consistently praised for its exceptional levels of service led to The Atlantic being awarded 'Independent Hotel of the Year' at The 2014 Catey Awards, the Oscars of the hotel industry.
Patrick is a passionate ambassador for Jersey and works tirelessly to strengthen the public perception of the island as a luxury destination. In 2010 Patrick co-founded the Luxury Jersey Hotels (LJH) consortium, designed to leverage the combined resources and marketing investment of a group of local hoteliers to identify and attract new market segments to the island. For the last ten years, Patrick has served as Chairman of LJH and during this time he has achieved both national and international recognition for the island as a leading gastronomic destination.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, this is a very important position within the senior management team of the hotel and involves daily communication with other managers and external agencies.
The Sales & Marketing Manager is responsible for the successful delivery of the hotel’s Marketing Strategy, and the delivery and subsequent setting of the annual Marketing Plan and Budget, to include all revenue streams and our ambitious business targets.
Key duties will include:
- Developing and planning all sales and marketing activities, and executing all tactical marketing initiatives and promotions
- Producing and following quarterly marketing action plans, and leading on monthly management marketing meetings
- Taking the lead on market and marketing research, to inform the strategy and ensure that all marketing activity and expenditure is focused and as well targeted as possible
- Maintaining the hotel’s website and ensuring that the website is at all times a perfect shop-window for the hotel, attracting high numbers of high quality visitors, and increasing e-commerce via the website year-on-year
- Managing all other aspects of digital marketing, including e-marketing and social media marketing, for the hotel and restaurant in conjunction with the hotel’s digital marketing consultant
- Liaising with the Reservations Manager on revenue management
- Representing the hotel at external events, including exhibitions, workshops and partnership marketing meetings such as with Visit Jersey and Luxury Jersey Hotels
- Working with the Managing Director, liaising with the hotel’s PR agency in London and marketing partner in Germany to help maximise coverage of The Atlantic in key media, including the organisation of media visits to the island
- Working closely with Small Luxury Hotels of the World to maximise international marketing exposure and opportunities: this might include some UK and international travel
- Operating a ‘key account’ approach to sales and business from third-parties, including a range of important travel trade and corporate sales contacts
- Jointly organising and marketing the annual Eat Jersey food festival, and proposing and marketing other such events in order to increase off-peak business
- Leading on all other aspects of marketing and sales, including media advertising, CRM and direct marketing, brochures and other printed matter.
Candidate Criteria for the Role of Sales & Marketing Manager
First and foremost, this is a senior role within the management team and as such candidates will be expected to have a solid career path in marketing, ideally within the hotel or travel industry. This is a family business and it will be very important that the appointee understands the nuances of working within a family structure as well as within a more traditional corporate environment.
Essential skills/attributes are as follows:
- A minimum of three years’ working in marketing, ideally within the hospitality industry
- The candidate must be a self-starter, highly efficient and organised, and able to work well to tight deadlines and under pressure
- Strong at forward-planning, yet with the ability to hit deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- A good team player, with strong interpersonal skills
- A creative mind matched with strong analytical skills
- Detail-oriented at all times
- Fluent in English, with excellent written English and grammar skills for the composition, editing and proofing of marketing materials and text
- Strong commercial awareness and numeracy, ideally with previous budget responsibility
- Computer and internet savvy, including good knowledge of web marketing and social media
- Exceptionally well presented, a professional and confident communicator.
Desired skills/attributes are as follows:
- Experience in marketing/sales/PR within the hotel or travel industry
- Motivational skills and the ability to inspire in relationships with internal colleagues and external partners and agencies
- Experience in managing agency relationships on behalf of a client
- A formal marketing qualification (eg CIM/degree/diploma)
- Foreign languages, especially French or German
- Experience of sales and/or key account management
- Experience in marketing within the luxury sector
- Previous work experience in, or a good knowledge of, the Channel Islands.
An open personality and a positive attitude are very important, and an out-going, friendly and collegiate style will be key. This is a tremendous opportunity for the right person with a solid mix of knowledge, experience and enthusiasm, and the personal qualities and drive to help take The Atlantic forward beyond 2020 and its 50th anniversary.
Remuneration and Other Terms
This is a key role within the business. The salary will directly reflect this and the experience and the expectations of the successful candidate.
Additional benefits include:
- 20 days holiday with additional paid time off in lieu for all bank holidays worked
- A share of gratuities
After an initial probationary period of 26 weeks, the appointee will be subject to a 12-week notice period.
The Selection Process
Candidates for the role will first undergo a structured telephone screening exercise to establish interest and general suitability for the role.
From these initial telephone interviews, a detailed candidate report will be prepared and the shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by the Managing Director.
Any questions arising from this document should be addressed to:
+44 1534 500000